Son of chef

Son of chef
Fair food

Wednesday, September 18, 2013

Stray Dogs...

Have you ever heard the saying "If you feed a stray dog once, it will keep coming back forever"? Well, I don't know about dogs, but this is entirely true as far as relatives go.  Chances are, if you stop by my house in the evening, something is being cooked, baked, or covered in sprinkles.  My mom and sister have long since figured this out.  So, several nights a week they show up.  On the porch.  Generally with tupperware waiting to be filled.  My son delights in this, because while I am slaving away in the kitchen, these two women goo and gah all over him.  He can even con them into building lego castles.  When the food is ready and my house is covered in legos, we all sit and have dinner and talk nonsense, and what is better than that?  I read somewhere that the act of feeding someone is the ultimate act of care and affection, sharing yourself with someone else through food. This is what I live for.  This is why I cook.  So I can feed all the strays and I get their company in return.

The recipe I am sharing is one that I threw together when the girls came over unexpectedly.  I didn't have dinner planned, but I generally have a few random things in the fridge and cabinets. This time I had some chicken and broccoli in the fridge and I generally have several different pastas in the cabinets.  I managed a pretty delicious dinner from what I had laying around.  I have learned at home and at work to adapt the ability to make a few random things into a cohesive dish.
My sister loved this one and requests it often.  Enjoy!


Seared Chicken & Broccoli Atop Angel Hair Pasta
Serves 4

For the Chicken:
8        Each        Thin Chicken Breasts 2 oz Each (see K's tips)
4        Cloves      Fresh Garlic, Minced Finely
1        Tsp          Paprika
1        Tsp          Chili Powder
1        Tsp          Salt
1/4     Cup          Olive Oil

Place chicken in a large ziploc bag.  Add in the olive oil, garlic, and spices.  Shake it all about.  We like the hokey pokey around here.  Let it sit at room temperature for 10 minutes.  Heat a skillet over medium high heat.  Before you put your chicken in, flick a few drops of water into the skillet. If they sizzle and pop, you know your pan is ready.  If not let it heat up a little more.  Then place 4 of the breasts in the pan and cook about 4 minutes on each side until cooked through.  Remove from the pan and place on a plate tented with foil.  Repeat with next four chicken breasts.  While chicken is resting do the pasta.  It only takes 10 minutes so my chicken stayed warm.











For the Pasta:
2        Tbsp        Olive Oil
4        Cloves      Fresh Garlic, Minced Finely
3        Cups        Chicken Broth
1        Each        Red Bell Pepper, Julienne (which means sliced into strips)
1        Cup         Broccoli Crowns, Chopped
1/2     Pound      Angel Pasta, Break in Half
1/2     Cup         Heavy Whipping Cream
1/2     Cup         Freshly Grated Parmesan Cheese
1        Tsp         Salt
1/2     Tsp         Fresh Cracked Pepper
1/8     Cup         Fresh Basil, Chopped

Put a medium sauce pot over medium high heat.  Stir in the olive oil and garlic.  Saute for one minute.  Do not let garlic turn brown, this can make it taste bitter.  Add in the chicken broth and turn up the heat, let it come to a boil.  Add in the pasta, broccoli, bell pepper, salt, and pepper.  Cook for 8-10 minutes or until the pasta has absorbed the chicken broth and become tender.  Turn heat to low and stir in the cream, cheese, and basil.  Stir until cheese is melted and sauce thickens, about 2 more minutes.  Remove from heat.  Portion into four bowls.  Top with two chicken breasts and more parmesan if desired.  Love as Always, "Big K"

Big K's Tips:

*   My grocery sells thin chicken breast.  If yours does not get four chicken breasts about 4 oz each and slice them length wise created 8 thin equal sized breasts.

*   Angel hair cooks quickly so be sure not to overcook it.








No comments:

Post a Comment