Son of chef

Son of chef
Fair food

Friday, September 6, 2013

Birthday Party Mayhem

Who is that girl?  Oh, you mean the girl sitting on the kitchen floor, pitifully crying?  Oh ya, that would be me.  Why, you ask?  If you have a child that has birthdays, then you will relate to this...if not, when you do, you will see.  Every year, right before Trenton's birthday, I plan all these DIY decoration projects, pick an elaborate cake to make, and orchestrate a five course menu.  He won't remember.  All he cares about is cake.  Yet, I do this every year.  Then two days before the party, no projects have been made.  No groceries have been bought.  I have turned into a crazy monster.  I thought this was just me.  Oh no it isn't!  My good friend Vickie has three boys, so I see her turn into a monster three times a year.  A week before Trenton's party, we went to his friend Eastyn's birthday party.  We got there a few minutes early, just in time to see her mom, Lesli's head spinning in circles like the exorcist.  The wind was blowing her decorations down, her tape wouldn't stick to her birthday banner, and the sun was melting her cake.
(Isn't Eastyn a doll!)

So, I figure this...when it is time for your toddler's birthday party you are no longer a rational human.  You are no longer a teacher, a nurse, a lawyer, or in this case, a chef.  You are crying on the floor because the cake that has turned out perfectly for you four hundred and eighty five times is a huge crumbled pile of mush.

I texted my sister, "I quit and I am just going cancel the party".  She texted me back, "put your big girl panties on and try again".  This snapped me out of it.  I stayed up until two in the morning strategically placing m&m's on a giant cake in the shape of a three I found on Pinterest.  Curse you Pinterest!

With the help of my sister, all the projects got completed, the food cooked, and the cake re-baked and decorated.  The party was a success and my sanity restored. One of my favorite quick and easy party recipes is this cheesecake fruit dip I make.  Fresh lime juice and vanilla bean fancy it up.  I actually just took it to a Labor Day party this last weekend.  I have learned to keep the food for my parties delicious, but easy.  Keep your SANITY!!  Enjoy  and party on!


Creamy Lime Fruit Dip with Fresh Fruit Skewers
This makes about 3 cups of dip

8       oz       Heavy Whipping Cream
8       oz       Cream Cheese
1       Cup     Powdered Sugar
1       Tsp     Vanilla Bean Paste or Extract
1       Each    Lime, Juice and Zest Only
20     Each    6" Bamboo Skewers
60     Cubes  Assorted Fruit

In a mixing bowl whip the cream on high speed for 2 minutes until a stiff whipped cream is formed.  Put the cream cheese in and whip for 30 seconds.  Scrape the sides of the bowl down with a spatula.  Add in the sugar, vanilla, lime juice, and zest.  Whip for about 30 more seconds until smooth.  Refrigerate about an hour before serving.  Next thread 3 pieces of fruit on each skewer and serve cold with dip.  Love as Always, "Big K"


Big K's Tips:

*   Let your cream cheese sit out for about an hour to get the chill off, otherwise it can get lumpy in the cream

*   For this recipe I use my Kitchen-aid stand mixer.  If you do not have one, you can use a medium mixing bowl and a handheld mixer.  If you do not have a hand mixer, get one!  They are affordable and perfect for whipping up cream, or cake batter, or even mashed potatoes.

No comments:

Post a Comment