Son of chef

Son of chef
Fair food

Wednesday, August 28, 2013

Oil, Butter, or Cheese?

Oil, Butter, or Cheese.  That IS the question.  Okay, this isn't Hamlet, and I am definitely no Shakespeare, but this is a very important question indeed.  This is how my sister and I decide which restaurant to dine at.  I take my dining very seriously.  So, how did oil, butter, and cheese come about?  My sister, who happens to be my partner in dine, and I were trying to decide where to eat.  The conversation went like this, "Where do you want to eat?".  "I don't care, where do you want to eat?"  And so on and so forth.

Then she asks me where can we get some free pre-food.  You know, like at Mexican restaurants you get chips and queso, or at Italian restaurants you get bread with garlic oil, or at a Steakhouse you get rolls with butter. So I said, "Basically we need to choose between oil, butter, or cheese?"  "Yes!" She proclaimed.  That was it, we now have our way to choose where to eat.  Usually we choose cheese.  Cheese is a food group to me.  Most people have one drawer in their fridge for cheese and a couple for meats and veggies.  Nope, not me.  I have all mine filled with cheese.  Especially with the little tiny cheese monger living in my home.  Remember?  Born with a cheese stick in his hand!  So my recipe, you ask.  Yes, you guessed it.  Cheese!! I make this pimiento cheese that my sister and I love.  We dip crackers in it, we put it on burgers, and we melt it up in grilled cheese.  For this blog, I experimented and came up with a few variations on the original and they were awesome!  Love as Always "Big K"

These all yield about 2 cups of pimiento cheese

The Original Pimiento Cheese:

8       oz         Colby Jack, Shredded (don't buy the pre-shredded stuff, it doesn't taste the same)
1/2    Cup      Mayonnaise
2       Tbsp     Pimientos, Chopped
1/2    Tsp       Salt
1/2    Tsp       Pepper (Fresh Ground)

Okay this is a recipe for the more advanced cook.  In a medium bowl, stir all ingredients together. Whew!  That's it.  Now serve it with crackers, top burgers with it, or melt it up in a grilled cheese!

Smoked Gouda & Bacon Pimiento Cheese:

8      oz          Smoked Gouda, Shredded (again...shred it yourself)
1/2   Cup        Mayonnaise
2      Tbsp      Pimientos, Chopped
1/4   Cup        Bacon, Cooked and Chopped Small
1/4   Cup        Fresh Chives, Minced
1/2   Tsp         Salt
1/2   Tsp         Pepper

Same as above.  In a medium bowl, stir all ingredients together.  This was our favorite on the burgers (I made sliders on Hawaiian Rolls).  The salty bacon and smoky cheese is a delicious combo.


Southwest Pepper Jack Pimiento Cheese:

8      oz        Pepper Jack Cheese, Shredded (you get the gist)
1/2   Cup     Mayonnaise
2      Tbsp   Pimientos, Chopped
1/4   Cup     Fresh Cilantro, Minced
1/4   Cup     Green Onions, Chopped Fine
2      Tsp     Taco Seasoning
1/2   Tsp     Salt
1/2   Tsp     Pepper

Same as above.  In a medium bowl, stir all ingredients together.  This was our favorite on the grilled cheese.  It was spicy and delicious.  I have to say this one is my favorite.


Big K's Tips:

* If you are serving it as a dip, let it sit out for about 30 minutes before you serve it.  This way it isn't ice cold and will spread easier.

* I use fresh ground pepper in all my recipes.  I like the flavor better then the kind in the can, but you can use what you have on hand.






No comments:

Post a Comment