Son of chef

Son of chef
Fair food

Tuesday, August 20, 2013

Jimmy Timmy Tommy

Hello again!  I have really enjoyed sharing these blogs with you.  I want to write this one about one of my biggest supporters.  He really inspired my cooking as I started this career, and still does today.  When I was looking at culinary schools, I came across an apprenticeship program.  It is a three year program that allows you to work in actual restaurants, while doing your culinary schooling at the same time.  Having no restaurant experience, this appealed to me.  I applied, and was accepted to the apprenticeship program at a large resort in Georgia, called Sea Island.  One of the chefs in charge of the apprenticeship program was Jimmy Timmy Tommy.  Well, actually he went by Tim, but his full name was James Timothy Thomas.  When I found out his childhood nickname shortened all of his names to Jimmy Timmy Tommy,  I made sure (at his great displeasure) to call him this as much as possible.  Tim was there to mentor the apprentices and guide us along our culinary journey.  He also helped us form a competition team, which I was very involved in. Culinary competitions are a great way to show off the skills you have learned in school.  They test your knife skills and your ability to cook under pressure.

When I finished my program and graduated, I applied to work at his country club located within the resort.  I was hired there in my first real cook position. This is where I learned about the REAL Chef Tim.  He is tall, skinny, hilarious, and apparently double jointed because he used to hang on the food shelves from his shoulder blades.  How is this possible?  Well I'm not sure, but I definitely witnessed it.


He was quirky and funny, but also a very good teacher and an amazing cook.  I learned a great deal from him and really got into the cooking competitions.  I did several as his assistant (he always won wink wink), and several on my own.  Today's recipe is a spin on the dish I did at a competition in Myrtle Beach.  He was there cheering me on!  This is a good dinner to make your family and took me less than an hour to whip up when I tested it.  My usual testers were also happy I whipped this one up (beats hot dogs).  Enjoy!


Spice Rubbed Pork Tenderloin with Whipped Sweet Potatoes and Mango Salsa
Serves 4

For the Pork:
1       Each       Pork Tenderloin   (1 lb.)
1       Tbsp       Chili Powder
1       Tbsp       Garlic Powder
1       Tbsp       Seasoning Salt   (whichever brand you like)
1       Tbsp       Paprika
1       Tsp         Crushed Red Pepper
2       Tsp         Salt
2       Tbsp       Olive Oil

Preheat oven to 350 degrees.  In a small bowl mix together the spices and olive oil.  Place pork tenderloin on a plate and rub it all over with the spice rub.  Let sit for 10 minutes.  In a large skillet, sear the pork over medium-high heat on all sides.  Take a baking sheet and line it with foil.  Place the pork on it and pop it in the oven for 20 minutes.  While pork is baking make salsa and potatoes.  After you pull the pork out of the oven let it rest for 10 minutes before slicing.  Using a sharp knife, slice into 12 slices.

For the Potatoes:
2       Each        Medium Sweet Potatoes, Peeled and Diced into Large Chunks
4       Tbsp        Butter
1/2    Cup         Half & Half
1       Tsp          Salt
1/4    Tsp          Cayenne

Place sweet potatoes in a medium sized sauce pot and cover with cold water.  Bring to a boil, boil for ten minutes or until tender.  Drain.  Put potatoes in a large bowl with the rest of the ingredients.  Using a hand mixer, mix on medium speed for about a minute until smooth and creamy.  Cover to keep warm until ready to serve.

For the Salsa:
1       Each      Large Mango, Diced   (steps shown below)
1/4    Cup       Cilantro, Finely Chopped
1/4    Cup       Green Onions, Finely Sliced
1       Each      Small Jalapeno, Minced
1       Each      Small Red Bell Pepper, Diced
2       Each      Limes, Juice Only

In a medium bowl, mix together all the ingredients.

To assemble, place the potatoes on a plate.  Shingle 3 slices of pork on the potatoes.  Spoon the mango sauce on top of the pork.  Serve hot!  Love as Always, "Big K"

Big K's Tips:
How to cut a mango











1 comment:

  1. I love reading your posts, and look forward to the next one!

    Adah :)

    ReplyDelete