Son of chef

Son of chef
Fair food

Sunday, August 4, 2013

Apple Cake of My Eye

Hi again!  I really enjoyed writing my first blog and getting your feedback.  So, I am back again for round two!  Today, I want to explain the name of my blog.  I entitled it "Big K", not because I am large (although pregnancy and a stint of working in a bakery eating the "broken cookies" sure didn't do me any favors) but, because it is a nickname given to me by my mom.  She stayed at home with my sister and me when I was a toddler.  She loved to write stories about us.  She had this beautiful cedar box filled with colored pencils, she would use them to write and illustrate her stories.  It was her way of "blogging" of the 80's.  I apparently was a handful, (this is just a rumor, I've received no real proof) and the "Big K" referred to my big personality. She would write these funny stories about me and attach photos.  I still have them.  My favorite is a photo of my breakfast in my hair, that she turned into a story of how oatmeal and yogurt are good for your hair.



So my recipe is also in the theme of my childhood and my mom.  This is the most AMAZING apple cake you will ever eat.  It was my mom's favorite recipe from her Irish grandmother (Grandma Mac), and I grew up eating it.  It is amazingly moist with a crunchy top and full of cinnamon and apples.  It very much reminds me of my childhood and the times with my mom.  If you make only one recipe I ever blog, make it this one!





Raw Apple Cake
(Raw refers to the apples, you leave them raw which adds to the moistness of the cake)
This recipe makes 12 squares

1/2     Cup     Vegetable Shortening
2        Cups    Sugar
2        Each     Eggs
2        Cups     Flour
2        Tsp       Cinnamon
1        Tsp       Baking Soda
1        Tsp       Salt
6        Each     Granny Smith Apples Peeled & Diced 

Preheat oven to 325 degrees.  I do this in a stand mixer, if you do not have one you can use a large mixing bowl with a hand mixer.  Cream together shortening and sugar on medium speed for 2 minutes.  Add in eggs mix until incorporated.  In a smaller mixing bowl sift together flour, cinnamon, baking soda, and salt.  Add to wet ingredients and mix on low speed until just incorporated (do not over mix, this can make the dough tough).  With a spatula fold in apples.  This will look like way to many apples, this is correct.  Pour the batter into a 9x13 baking pan that has been greased (i just use cooking spray).  Bake for 50 minutes to an hour.  I use a tooth pick to test it.  Mine took 50 minutes, but ovens vary.  Now brew an espresso and eat it warm.  Be ready to eat a second piece, it is that good!!!
Love as Always, Big "K"








4 comments:

  1. Could i use other apples?? thanks

    ReplyDelete
  2. Jeanne- yes you can use any apple you like, I just like the Granny Smith because they have tart apple flavor and the ones my great grandma used.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Kelsey, I love this recipe and have made it many times. I loved this cake as a kid; apple cake always reminds me of Grandma Mac. This is comfort food! Another is homemade banana pudding with vanilla wafers.
    Love,
    Adah

    ReplyDelete
  4. P.S. Your mom has always been creative.
    Adah :)

    ReplyDelete