Son of chef

Son of chef
Fair food

Wednesday, August 14, 2013

Bed & Breakfast? Yes Please!!

Hello All!  This past weekend, I decided to take a last minute weekend getaway to Hot Springs, Arkansas. Unfortunately, doing this last minute gave me very limited options on accommodations.  Super 8 or Travelodge were pretty much the only options.  Feeling hopeless, I kept searching, and I came across a bed & breakfast called The Williams House Inn.  I figured it was all booked up, but decided to give them a call anyway.  They had one suite left, so I jumped on it.  It was a six hour drive for me, which flew by with several gas station coffees & my compilation of 90's music...Ice Ice Baby!  When I got there, I pulled up to a beautiful Victorian home surrounded by rich green whispering trees and a gorgeous garden with colorful fresh flowers.

When l wandered inside, I met Lynda, the owner/manager of the Inn.  She was very welcoming and friendly. She offered to give me a tour around the Inn.  It was charming inside, filled with an antique flair.  My suite was upstairs where there is a quaint parlor room for sitting and a veranda overlooking the garden and mountains.  Inside my suite was an additional sitting area that included the breakfast nook for two, a mini fridge (perfect for my wine and power bars), and an intimate bedroom.  It was complete with a queen size bed, a fire place, and an amazing jetted bathtub!


It looked wonderful on the website, but was so much more in person.  The Inn was within walking distance from the downtown area and the Hot Springs.  The food was wonderful and Lynda was gracious enough to share one of their recipes with me for this blog!  I made it right when I got home, it was just as fantastic as when had it for breakfast there last weekend.  Love as Always, "Big K"

Visit www.1890williamshouse.com to check it out!

Please excuse my taste tester's grubby little paw:)


Blueberry Sour Cream Cake  (from the kitchen of the Williams House)
This recipe makes 12 squares

1      Stick      Butter, Softened
1      Cup       Sugar
3      Each      Eggs
1      Cup       Sour Cream
2      Cups     Sifted All-Purpose Flour
1      Tsp        Baking Soda
1/2   Tsp        Salt
1      Tsp        Vanilla
2      Cups      Fresh of Frozen Blueberries, Rinsed, Drained, and Floured (I used 1 Tbsp)
1/2   Cup        Firmly Packed Brown Sugar
1/2   Cup        Chopped Nuts  (I used Pecans)
1/2   Tsp         Cinnamon

In a bowl, cream butter until light and fluffy.  Beat in sugar.  Beat in eggs one at a time, beating until smooth after each addition.  Stir in sour cream.  Stir in flour, baking soda, salt, and vanilla.  Beat until smooth and well blended.  Fold in blueberries.  Spread half of the batter in a greased 9x13x2 baking pan.  In a bowl mix brown sugar, nuts, and cinnamon.  Sprinkle mixture evenly over top of batter in pan.  Spread remaining batter over top.  Bake in a preheated moderate oven (350 F) for 40 to 45 minutes.  Cool in pan and then cut into squares and serve.  Serve sprinkles with confectioners sugar.

Big K's Tips

*  This only took 35 minutes in my oven.  I just pulled it out when the top was golden and a tooth pick inserted into the center slides out cleanly.

*  I cut mine into 12 squares though I'm not sure why since I pretty much ate the whole thing myself (good to know this blog is going to fatten me up!)

1 comment:

  1. I was lucky enough to get a piece too! I loved the brown sugar/nut/cinnamon layer. It was perfect with my double espresso.

    ReplyDelete