Son of chef

Son of chef
Fair food

Sunday, August 25, 2013

The Toast Ghost

Do you believe in ghosts?  Me either!  Although, I think my mom was convinced once.  She went  into the kitchen several mornings in a row, and two slices of bread would be toasted and peeking out of the toaster. No one would admit to the deed.  Now, when I was five, we moved from Texas to Oklahoma for my  mom's job.  She had just finished her law degree and was going to join the family law firm with my uncle and grandfather.  My uncle's long time friend was also a lawyer, he and my mom hit it off and they were married a short time later.  When I say he was also a lawyer, you may picture a clean cut member of society.  Wrong!  Picture this man living in a small house with no food, several cats, and possibly no electricity.  He had this wild curly hair, a scowl, an unhealthy obsession with serial murderers, and a serious addiction to coffee (I may or may not have inherited this).  When he moved in he was helpless.  He couldn't use a microwave, the dishwasher, or even a toaster.  He was a criminal defense attorney and that was what he knew.  Law and  criminals, end of sentence.  Living with my mom and two young girls helped to domesticate him.  A little.  He could operate the microwave (aside from the time he set popcorn on fire) and the toaster.  My mom would demand to know who was making this toast and leaving it overnight.  I denied it and he denied it.  My mom would get annoyed and say "so we have a toast ghost?"  I'm sure it could have been either of us, we are both night owls and my mom went down with the sun.  However, no one ever confessed. There was just toast expectantly waiting to be consumed.  The toast ghost mystery was left unsolved.

Now, for my recipe, I won't be teaching you how to pop toast out of the toaster.  Instead, I make this amazing stuffed french toast smothered in brown sugar and bananas that you will love!  It's easy, and would be great if you have people over for brunch, or even for a special weekend breakfast.  Enjoy!!

Stuffed French Toast with Brown Sugar and Bananas
Serves Four

8      Each       Slices of French Bread, Slice 1/2 Inch Thick
1      Each       8 oz Block of Cream Cheese, at room temperature
1/4   Cup        Powdered Sugar
1      Tsp         Vanilla Bean Paste*

6      Each       Eggs
2      Cups       Half & Half
1/2   Cup        Sugar
1      Tsp        Cinnamon
1      Tsp        Vanilla Bean Paste*

1/4   Cup        Butter
1/2   Cup        Brown Sugar
1/4   Cup        Half & Half
3      Each       Bananas, Sliced



In a medium-sized mixing bowl, whisk together the eggs, half & half, sugar, cinnamon, and vanilla bean paste and pour into a shallow baking pan.  Set aside.  In a small mixing bowl, stir together the cream cheese, powdered sugar, and vanilla bean paste.  Take the french bread and evenly spread 4 of the slices with the cream cheese mixture until its gone.  Top with the remaining four slices to make four sandwiches.  Heat a large skillet to medium high heat.  Spray with cooking spray.  Dip each sandwich in the egg mixture for a few seconds on each side.  Then grill on each side until golden brown and egg is cooked through.  When all four sandwiches are grilled set to the side and wipe out the skillet.  Heat pan back to medium heat.  Melt the butter in the skillet, then whisk in the brown sugar and cook for about two minutes.  Then whisk the half & half in until smooth.  Toss in the bananas and saute for about a minute.  You don't want them mushy.  Cut the french toast in half and top with the bananas.  I served mine with fresh whipped cream.  Love as Always, "Big K"

Big K's Tips:

*Vanilla Bean Paste is very similar to vanilla extract, but has actual vanilla bean scraped into it. You can find it at most specialty food stores such as William Sonoma or online.  I always use it in place of vanilla extract, I love that you can see the vanilla bean.  It's awesome in ice cream and frosting.
If you don't have any, you can substitute vanilla extract.











No comments:

Post a Comment