Son of chef

Son of chef
Fair food

Tuesday, October 22, 2013

Cookies for Dinner??

If I had my way I would eat chocolate chip cookies for dinner every night.  Oh, or chocolate cake.  Or Oreos.  Okay, you get the gist.  Apparently, doing this isn't especially good for your figure.  I have mentioned before that I worked at a bakery for a little while after my son was born.  They had these fantastic cookies that were so soft they melted into my mouth and straight onto my thighs!  The combo of "broken cookies" that were fair game for employees to eat, and the "baby weight" had put a few extra pounds on me.  After realizing that this was not the best diet to have I started eating much healthier.  My sister and mom were still eating over a lot and I wanted to make healthy still be tasty.  My mom often tries these crazy diets where you have to drink shakes or cut out certain things.  This doesn't ever work for me.  Cut out sugar?  You can forget that!!  Cut out carbs?  Hand me a potato stuffed with bread.  I found that cutting the portion size down and choosing healthier options is what I could stick with.  If you have read any of my previous recipes, they are certainly not super healthy, so I will try to start putting some of my healthier creations in as well!

Shrimp and Avocado Salad with Cilantro Lime Dressing
Serves 4

1        Pound        Large Shrimp, Peeled & Deveined, Leave the tails on
1        Tbsp          Salt
4        Cups          Water
1        Each           Bay Leaf
2        Each           Lemons, Cut in half
1        Large         Avocado
1        Pint            Grape Tomatoes
16      Each          Cilantro Leaves

For the Dressing:
1/2     Cup            Light Sour Cream
1/2     Cup            1/3 Less Fat Cream Cheese
1/4     Cup            Green Onion, Chopped
1/2     Cup            Fresh Cilantro
2        Each           Limes, Juiced
1/2     Tsp             Salt
3        Each           Garlic Cloves

In a medium sized sauté pan with a lid, combine the water, bay leaf, and salt. Squeeze the lemon halves over the pot and then drop in the halves. Bring to a boil, reduce heat to medium low, and let simmer for 10 minutes. Add the shrimp, cover, and poach for 4 min. Turn off the heat and let the shrimp sit in the covered pan for another 2 min. Drain shrimp in a colander.  Toss a tray of ice cubes on top of the shrimp.  Toss the ice and shrimp every 2 minutes until they get cooled through.  Pull the shrimp out and lay on a paper towel to drain any excess ice/water.  Next slice the avocado in quarters lengthwise.  Peel off the skin.  Then slice each quarter into four slices.  Slice the tomatoes lengthwise.  For the dressing put all in the ingredients in the blender and .  It will look like ranch.  On four plates equally divide the avocado and shrimp and fan out. Sprinkle the tomatoes and cilantro on top and drizzle with the dressing.  Serve cold.  Goes great as a light dinner or served as a appetizer or salad.  Love as Always, "Big K"  





No comments:

Post a Comment