Son of chef

Son of chef
Fair food

Monday, October 28, 2013

Ketchup Haters Unite!!

I love food.  I love to eat.  I love the way just hearing the name of a food makes you want to hop right into the kitchen and whip it up.  Foods like silky chocolate mousse, cinnamon roll pancakes, vanilla peach coffee cake.  Don't those all sound good enough to eat?  Then there is meatloaf.  Really, this is what they call it?  Loaf of meat.  Well that does not sound appetizing to me.  I don't know if that is why I have always had an aversion to eating it, or if it is because most people make it with ketchup.  My nemesis.  I will not eat it, I won't dip a fry in it, not in a box, not with a fox, and especially not on a loaf of meat.  Some people say they only like their mom's or their grandma's.  Nope.  Still not buying it.  Well somehow, my sister (the most annoyingly picky eater ever) loves meatloaf!!  So, when she suggested I make it for my blog, I cringed.  If you know me, I never turn down a challenge.  So I took the basic meatloaf my grandmother bakes and I added all of my favorite things to it.  Bacon and cheese of course.  Since I can't bear the thought of ketchup, I used BBQ sauce instead.

Big K's BBQ Bacon Meatloaf
Serves 8

2         Pounds        Lean Ground Beef, I used 93/7
2         Each            Eggs
1/2      Cup             Bread Crumbs, I used Panko Japanese Breadcrumbs
1         Each            Green Bell Pepper, Diced
1         Each            Small White Onion, Diced
4         Slices           Bacon, Cooked and Chopped
1         Cup             Shredded Cheddar Cheese
1/2      Cup             Cup BBQ Sauce plus 1/2 Cup for Brushing on Top
1         16 oz           Ranch Dressing Dry Mix Package
1         T                 Worcestershire Sauce
1         T                 Dijon Mustard

Preheat oven to 350 degrees.  In a large mixing bowl mix all of the ingredients except beef and extra BBQ sauce.  Next stir in the beef with your hands.  Yes, your hands!  Next line a baking sheet with foil.  Spray it with baking spray.  Place mixture onto the pan and shape it firmly into the shape of a loaf, or you can use a loaf pan if you like.  I like doing on the baking sheet so I can make it a little longer and it makes 8 perfect slices.  Brush meatloaf with extra BBQ sauce.  Place meatloaf  in the oven for  50 minutes.  Take it out and let it rest 15 minutes.  Slice into 8 equal slices.  Serve it up with mashed potatoes or macaroni and cheese and some steamed veggies.  If you must you can use ketchup.  I guess...  Love as Always, "Big K"


No comments:

Post a Comment