Son of chef

Son of chef
Fair food

Wednesday, January 8, 2014

Monday Funday

I'm not sure why, but for some reason the thought of going to do something on a weekday night seems totally out of the question.  By the time I get home from work, I fix dinner, give a bath, play superheros, read a bedtime story, watch my soap opera on DVR, and then hit the sack.  I definitely like my routine...and my General Hospital.  For football, however, I will deviate from the schedule.  Although my beloved Sooners didn't make it to the National Championship, my friend Heather and her hubby are major Auburn fans, so they decided to host a watch party.  Well, this girl can't say no to football and food, even if it is on a weeknight.  Since they have hosted quite a few parties, I figured I better bring a snack too.  Since I cook for a living if I don't bring a snack, a strange guilty feeling comes over me.  I know, I'm weird like that.  I worked Monday, so I needed something easy to throw together.  Then, I remembered this fantastic fruit tart they make at a local French bakery here in Norman.  I recently had some after my sister brought it over for Christmas.  It's a sweet dough topped with creamy custard and fresh fruit.   Kind of like a fruit pizza.  So, I came with a super easy version for a last minute treat to take to a party.  I baked the crust and made the cream the night before.  Right before the party, I frosted it topped it with fresh fruit and was out the door.  This would also be delicious at a brunch or for summertime holidays as well.  Enjoy!!

Big K's Fruit Pizza

For The Dough:
2           Each        Sticks Unsalted Butter, Softened
1 1/2     Cups       Granulated Sugar
2           Each        Eggs
1           Tsp          Vanilla Bean Paste
2 1/2     Cups        All Purpose Flour
2           Tsp          Baking Powder
1           Tsp          Salt
1           Tbsp        Lemon Zest

Preheat oven to 350 degrees.  In a medium sized mixing bowl beat together butter and sugar for 2 minutes using electric beaters.  Beat in the eggs and vanilla, beat again until well incorporated.  Fold in the remaining ingredients with a spatula until moistened.  Spread into a ungreased 13x9 cookie sheet.  Bake for 18 minutes.  Allow to cool.  Cover with plastic wrap if you are frosting it the next day.

For The Cream:
16        Oz           Cream Cheese, Softened
1          Cup         Powdered Sugar
8          Oz           Tub of Cool Whip
1          T              Vanilla Bean Paste or Extract

In a medium sized mixing bowl beat together the cream cheese, powdered sugar, and vanilla until smooth and fluffy.  Beat in the cool whip.  Chill for at least one hour.  Spread evenly over the crust.

1/2 Cup Each of the Following
Strawberries-Sliced
Raspberries
Blueberries
Kiwi-Sliced

Sprinkle fruit all over the frosted cookie.  Cut into squares and serve!  Yum

*If you are in a hurry a store bought cookie dough is just fine.  Just get 2 rolls of sugar cookie dough and spread it on the cookie sheet.








No comments:

Post a Comment