Son of chef

Son of chef
Fair food

Tuesday, January 21, 2014

Ole!

Do you remember that show on TV, where people ran around a grocery store like maniacs with a shopping cart? Supermarket Sweep.  I loved that show!!  Probably because I really like grocery shopping.  I know plenty of people that don't love it.  For me, I love the smell of the bakery, the deli where they slice the meat to your liking, that giant cabinet full of donuts covered in sprinkles, and my favorite...the cheese section!  I can also spend ridiculous amounts of time in specialty food markets.  I love to see all the unique food items and fresh ingredients.  I stumbled upon this local Mexican market the other day.  OMG!  I wandered in not knowing what to expect and it was fantastic.  Hand made tortillas, vibrant chiles, interesting spices, an array of cheeses, and this enormous meat counter.  I had to make something with all of this fantasticness surrounding me.  Searching the meat counter, freshly ground chorizo caught my eye.  I love making my chili with chorizo.  Done and done, I knew what to make.  Cheesy enchiladas filled with grated cheese and topped with my spicy chorizo chili.  I found all the ingredients right there in the market.  My advice, don't forget about the local places that might be a little different then your hurried trip to the normal grocery store.  Maybe some amazing ingredients will speak to you as well!


Big K's Spicy Chorizo Enchiladas

For the Chili:
1       Pound        Freshly Ground Chorizo (Mexican Spiced Sausage)
1       Pound        Freshly Ground Sirloin
1       Tbsp          Olive Oil
1       Each          Large White Onion (Peeled and Halved)
4       Each          Cloves of Garlic (Peeled)
1       Can           Crushed Tomato (28 oz can)
6       Tbsp         Chili Powder
1       Tbsp         Paprika
4       Tbsp         Garlic Powder
2       Tbsp         Onion Powder
1       Tbsp         Salt

Heat olive oil in a large sauce pot over medium heat.  Dice half of the white onion and put it in the oil.  Save the other half for the enchiladas.  Mince the garlic cloves and put them in too.  Saute until soft and translucent.  Add the sausage and ground beef into the pot and cook about 10 minutes until browned.  Drain and place back in the pot and return to medium heat.  Add in the additional 6 ingredients and bring to a boil.  Reduce to a simmer and cover.  Simmer for 1-2 hours.

For the Enchiladas:
8       oz             Block of Monterey Jack Cheese
8       oz             Block of Cheddar Cheese
12     Each         Corn Tortillas

Optional Toppings: extra cheese, green onion, sour cream

Once your chili is nice and simmered you are ready to make your enchiladas.  Preheat oven to 350 degrees.  Grate both cheeses by hand and place them in a large mixing bowl.  Dice the remaining onion half and toss it with the cheeses until well mixed.  Take a small pan and heat it to medium heat.  One at a time warm the tortillas for about 15 seconds on each side to make them pliable.  Once warmed fill them each with equal amounts of the cheese mixture.  Ladle enough chili just to cover the bottom of a 13x9 baking dish.  Layer the enchiladas into the pan side by side.  Top with the remaining chili.  Top with extra cheese if desired.  Bake for 30 minutes.  Serve hot with desired toppings.  Enjoy!  Love as Always, "Big K"




       


No comments:

Post a Comment