Son of chef

Son of chef
Fair food

Wednesday, April 2, 2014

Tiny Food Snob

My son will eat just about anything.  I got lucky with that.  He asks me for broccoli, avocado, and oranges for snacks.  How is this possible with a skittle pushing, oreo hoarding, cheetos in the glove box mom?  I'm not sure, but I'll take it!  Where does he draw the line?  Mushrooms.  I ordered a pizza with pepperoni and mushrooms.  He peeled one off, popped it in his mouth, and right back out it came.  "Ewwwwwwwwwww!"
He seemed downright disgusted that I would have ordered his favorite treat and put those on there.  Needless to say I no longer get mushrooms on my pizza.  I still love mushrooms.  There are so many different kinds.  Cremini, button, portabello, shiitake, oyster, morel, the list goes on.  One night when the little boss wasn't in charge of dinner I rebelled and bought mushrooms.  The result was this fantastic soup.  Earthy mushroom flavor with a smooth silky texture.   I made it again for blog testing purposes and the final step is to put it in the blender.  When he heard the blender he came running in the kitchen and shouted "Yay! Smoothies!".   You can guess that after the soup came out  I was whipping up the prince a smoothie.  Gotta love motherhood.  So, when you are in the mood for soup, give this one a try.  

Creamy Mushroom Soup with Havarti Soup
Serves 6-8

2f        Tbsp        Olive Oil
3        Cups        Mushrooms, Cleaned and Sliced (I used Cremini and Shiitake)
2        Each        Celery Stalks, Diced
1        Each        Small White Onion, Diced
4        Each        Cloves Garlic, Minced
2        Each        Small Russet Potatoes, Peeled and Diced
4        Cups        Chicken Broth
2        Cups         Heavy Cream
8        Ounce      Block Havarti Cheese, Shredded
2        Tsp          Salt
1/2     Tsp          Fresh Ground Pepper
Minced Chives for Garnish

Heat  olive oil in a large sauce pot over medium-high heat.  Add in the onion, garlic, and celery, saute for 2 minutes.  Add in the mushrooms and potatoes, saute for 2 more minutes.  Pour in the broth, cream, salt, and pepper, bring to a boil.  Turn down to low heat and simmer for 30 minutes.  Take off the heat and puree.  If you have an emulsion blender that would work great or you can do it in the regular blender in two batches.  Pour back in the pot and whisk in the cheese.  Ladle into bowls and serve hot, topped with the chives.






No comments:

Post a Comment