Son of chef

Son of chef
Fair food

Friday, March 28, 2014

The Bomb Biscuits

When I think of biscuits, I think of my grandmother.  You know what I'm talking about.  I used to spend weekends with her as a child and I loved eating breakfast at her house.  She always made homemade biscuits, and had this old pastry cutter that looked like it was from like 1914.  She would use it to cut shortening into flour with baking powder, and salt, then fold in buttermilk never measuring anything.  Then she would roll them out and cut out circle biscuits with a juice glass.  I always liked watching her do that.  Somehow I cannot recreate those biscuits, even with her recipe.  Maybe I need that juice glass.  I was recently trying out some different ways to make biscuits and came up with this delicious drop biscuit.  I decided to amp it up with some meat and cheese and they were the BOMB!!  My boyfriend hates when I say "the BOMB!", but it is the appropriate term.  These are good as a side or you can eat 6 of them for dinner like me.  Don't worry I punished myself for about 5 minutes for this.  Give them a try.  You won't be disappointed.

Big "K"s Loaded Drop Biscuits

1        Cup        Flour
2        Tbsp       Baking Powder
1/2     Tsp         Salt
1/2     Tsp         Garlic Powder
1/2     Cup        Melted Butter
1/2     Cup        Buttermilk
1        Cup        Shredded Smoked Cheddar
1/2     Cup        Chopped Ham
1/2     Cup        Chopped Green Onion

Preheat the oven to 350 degrees.  Line a baking sheet with parchment paper and spray with cooking spray.  In a large bowl whisk together the flour, baking powder, salt, and garlic powder.  In a small bowl whisk together the butter and buttermilk.  Gently fold the wet ingredients into the dry and mix until just moistened.  Toss in the cheese, ham, and onion and fold to incorporate.  Drop into 12 equal spoonfuls.  Bake for 18 minutes.  Gobble them up as fast as you can.






No comments:

Post a Comment