Son of chef

Son of chef
Fair food

Sunday, March 2, 2014

Bread Aholic

A few weeks ago my sister told me that she wasn't feeling well and went to bed early.  The next day, when I called to see how she was, she had been to the hospital because her throat swelled up.  She was back at home and hungry, but couldn't eat solids.  I thought I would be a good sister and get her some soup.  If you have kept up with my blog, you will be aware of my Panera obsession.  So, of course that is where I went for the soup.  I ordered 2 soups that she could have for a few meals.  I drive up to pay the man and get the goods.  As I am driving away I peer into the sack and spy a crusty french roll for each soup.  I have been trying to eat healthy and lay off the starchy carbs.  I decided one bite wouldn't hurt.  Which means I devoured both rolls before I arrived at her house.  She couldn't eat solids.  I did her a noble favor.   I delivered the soups and told her what I had done.  She reminded me that you could buy loaves of their bread.  Yes or a dozen bagels or maybe they could attach a Panera window to my bedroom wall!  The loaf of bread idea was in my head now, the least I could do was take advantage.  The reccipe I created was a grilled cheese breakfast sandwich.  It turned out so good!  My son was a big fan, bet you will be too!!

Grilled Cheese Breakfast Sandwich
Serves 4
8         Slices         Tomato Basil Bread (from panera)
8         Each           Large Brown Eggs
8         Slices         Apple-wood Smoked Bacon
4         Slices         White Cheddar Cheese
2         Tbsp           Fresh Chopped Chives
2         Tbsp           Chopped Sun-dried Tomatoes
1/2      Tsp             Salt and Pepper
8         Pats            Butter
Preheat the oven to 350 degrees.  Place the bacon on a baking sheet lined with foil.  Pop it in the oven and bake for 18-20 minutes until crispy.  Put the bacon on a plate lined with a paper towel.  Set aside.  Next, put the eggs in a bowl with the chives, sun-dried tomatoes, salt, and pepper.  Whisk it all together for 2 minutes until mixed and fluffed.  Scramble the eggs in a saute pan until cooked through.  Now to assemble.  Lay out four pieces of bread top each one with a slice of cheese, two slices of bacon, then 1/4 of the eggs and the last piece of bread.  Heat your saute pan to medium heat.  Add a pat of butter to the pan, once it melts add in a sandwich.  Toast for about 2 minutes or until golden.  Lift the sandwich and add a second pat of butter then flip the sandwich over and toast 2 more minutes until golden and cheese is melted.  Repeat with remaining sandwiches.  Slice in half and serve immediately.  Enjoy!  Love as Always, "Big K"


No comments:

Post a Comment