Son of chef

Son of chef
Fair food

Sunday, March 9, 2014

Comfort Food

You know what I love about food?  The way it can evoke memories.  Sometimes the reason I remember a moment is because of the food I had.  Out of the blue the other day I remembered this pasta I had years ago.  I hadn't had it since and I can't remember what I wore yesterday, but for some reason I remember that pasta.  I was working at a golf club at the time, where we did a lot of catered events.  In the summer we were always slammed and I worked a lot of 12 hour days.  On this particular day I had gotten there early in the morning.  We were prepping for a big wedding that night and had a lot of work to do.  I prepped furiously all day and never thought to stop and eat.  Next thing I know it's 7 o'clock, the event is underway, and my stomach is growling at me.  The chef that worked there realized she hadn't eaten either.  She offered to whip us up something for all of our hard work.  I watched her as she boiled some bowtie pasta and then threw together some random ingredients to make a sauce.  She tossed it, put it on a plate, and served me some.  I found an empty pickle bucket and flipped it over to make a stool.  I dug into that pasta like a fat kid on chocolate cake.  It was fantastic!  I still remember exactly how it tasted.  I recently tried to recreate it and although it is a little different, it was still very comforting somehow.  I wanted to share this recipe because I love that a few simple ingredients thrown together in haste can turn into something that is remembered for years.

Roasted Tomato Orecchiette with Brie
Serves 6

8         Ounces   Dry Orecchiette
1         Pint         Red Grape Tomatoes
1         Pint         Yellow Grape Tomatoes (or any small yellow tomato you can find)
1/4      Cup         Olive Oil
6         Each        Cloves of Garlic, Chopped
8         Ounces    Brie Cheese (rind removed, cut into cubes)
1/4      Cup         Basil, Chopped
1/4      Cup         Freshly Grated Parmesan
1         Tsp          Salt
1         Tsp          Pepper

Preheat oven to 350 degrees.  Place the tomatoes on a baking sheet with the garlic and drizzle with the olive oil.  Bake for 35 minutes.  Meanwhile, bring 2 quarts of water to boil in a sauce pot with a tablespoon of salt.  Once boiling, add in the pasta and cook for 12-15 minutes until tender.  Drain.  When the tomatoes are done, place them with all the juices they made into the pot you boiled the pasta in.  Stir them together over medium heat crushing them to make a sauce for about 3 minutes.  Turn the heat off and fold in the brie, parmesan, and basil.  Toss in the pasta and stir to coat.  Serve hot with crusty baguette.  Yum!  I ate all 6 servings over a few days...don't judge me.



No comments:

Post a Comment