Son of chef

Son of chef
Fair food

Monday, June 9, 2014

Summer Time...and The Salsa's Easy

98 degrees at 10am in June.  Welcome to summer in Oklahoma.  Yes, that was me 3 months ago bitchin' about the cold.  I'm never satisfied.  Aside from the blistering heat, there are plenty of things I love about summer such as poolside sitting, cookouts, and margaritas.  I also love to have friends over for food any chance I get.  I like having get togethers at my place so I control the menu!  Yes I am an OCD control freak, but my house is always clean and the food aplenty.....and tasty if I say so myself!  I really like to make a lot of fresh salads and salsas in the summer when it's hot to keep it light and refreshing.  I love a mayo based side as much as the next guy, but not under the hot sun.  I love salsas because they can be a nice colorful addition to your table with all the fresh fruit and veggies available.  The one I make is full of fresh corn, avocado, and black beans.  Perfect by the pool with tortilla chips and that margarita!!

Black Bean Salsa with Fresh Avocado & Corn
Serves 4

2         Ears             Fresh Corn,
1         Each            Large Tomato
4         Each           Green Onions
1/2      Bunch         Cilantro, Leaves Only
1         Each           Jalapeno, Seeded
1         Each            Large Avocado (unless you are inviting my mom over, then use 2)
2         Cups           Cooked Black Beans, Rinsed (If you only have a can around that would work too)
1/4      Cup            Lime Juice
1/2      Tsp             Cumin
1         Tsp             Salt

Get a bowl ready.  Grab your cutting board.  Lay the corn down and use your knife the cut the corn off each side.  Toss in the bowl.  Finely dice the tomato, green onion, cilantro and jalapeno.  Toss in with the corn.  Cut the avocado in half, pull out the pit, then run your knife down and across the avocado to dice it.  Use a spoon to scoop the diced avocado into the bowl, leaving the skin behind.  Toss in the rinsed beans, lime juice, and spices.  Toss all together and serve with chips!  If you want to make this the night before leave out the avocado until just before serving.  Enjoy!!  Love as Always "Big K"


No comments:

Post a Comment