Son of chef

Son of chef
Fair food

Sunday, June 29, 2014

Food Trickery

I was thinking the other day about my culinary apprenticeship days.  Those days inspire a lot of my blogs.  I was surrounded by amazing chefs, people from all different places, and tons of amazing food.  My mind wandered to the tricks we used to play on each other.  When around the same people every day you bond, and become like family.  The best part of having a family is having fun.  Like the time I told a waitress that wasabi was pistachio ice cream, or the time Chef Jay rolled and deep fried a towel to look like a chimichanga, then topped it with queso and a dollop of guacamole, and gave to the wait staff as a treat.  Watching them hungrily try to cut it and eat it was priceless!  I also had some tricks played on me.  A cook put citric acid in my water, it won't hurt you but it's insanely sour.  My fellow apprentices (all boys of course) put a whole sandwich and boiled eggs in my knife box a time I left it unlocked.  The final trick was on my last day of the apprenticeship program I got a goat cheese pie in the face.  I look back on that with fondness.  It was all in good fun.  The recipe I have today is kind of a trick in itself.  It looks harmless but it has good kick to it.  I make this recipe often and my family loves it.  It's a delicious chicken salad with jalapenos and crushed red pepper to give it a kick.  Great on croissants for sandwiches, or on a bed of spinach.  Give this one a try!

Big K's Spicy Southwest Chicken Salad
Makes 1 Quart of Chicken Salad

3        Cups        Shredded Chicken
1/2     Cup          Mayonnaise
1/4     Cup          Pickled Jalapenos, Minced (I like the pickled for the briny flavor)
1/4     Cup          Lime Juice
1/4     Cup          Cilantro, Minced
1/4     Cup          Celery, Minced
4        Each         Green Onions, Minced (Green and White Both)
1        Tsp           Crushed Red Pepper
1/2     Tsp           Cumin, Ground
1        Tsp           Garlic Powder
1        Tsp           Salt

In a large mixing bowl whisk together all the ingredients except the chicken.  Toss the chicken in and mix until all coated.  Let sit in the fridge at least an hour, the longer it sits the spicier it gets!  As a tip for the chicken, my sister just buys a rotisserie chicken from the deli and shreds it up.  If you have raw chicken breasts, cover them in a pot with cold water and bring to a boil.  Lower heat and simmer for about  30 minutes, allow to cool before shredding.  Both options work great in this recipe.  Serve as a salad or on a sandwich and enjoy!  Love as always, "Big K"


No comments:

Post a Comment