Son of chef

Son of chef
Fair food

Sunday, July 13, 2014

The Gift of Food

When you are good at something, people seem to catch on.  For example, my sister can sew and quilt.  She makes the most awesome stuff.  Needless to say my house is full of blankets, throws, purses, and anything else she can sew.  She in turn, has me cater to her food needs if her work has a potluck or someone needs birthday cupcakes. Many of my other friends have caught on as well.  I am making party food or cupcakes for my friends festivities almost every weekend.  I like it because my cake decorating has gotten better with all the practice and I can make a casserole with the best of them.  I recently had a friend that had volunteered to bring casseroles to a new mom just home with her baby.  AKA she wanted me to make casseroles for her friend that just had a baby.  She doesn't really like to cook.  Weirdo.  I was happy to help, so I whipped up an Italian pasta dish for her.  It wouldn't all fit in the dish so I ate the extra and it was delicious!  I love when easy to throw together foods seem like it took you hours slaving in the kitchen.  You gotta try this one, it's great for a family dinner or to take to a friend or neighbor.

Italian Rotini Bake
Serves 10-12

1         Pound            Rotini Pasta
1         Pound            Italian Sausage
1         28 oz Can      Crushed Tomatoes
1         15 oz Can      Tomato Sauce
2         Tbsp              Olive Oil
1         Tbsp              Fresh Garlic, Minced
1          Each             White Onion, Chopped
1          Tbsp             Italian Seasoning
1          Tsp               Crushed Red Pepper
1          Tsp               Salt
1          Cup              Heavy Whipping Cream
1/2       Cup              Parmesan, Freshly Shredded
2          Cups            Shredded Mozzarella
1/4       Cup              Fresh Parsley, Finely Chopped

Preheat the oven to 350 degrees if you plan on eating right away.  Spray a 13x9 disposable baking dish with cooking spray.  Bring a large pot of water to a boil.  Add in the ziti and boil for 8 minutes.  Drain and set aside.  In a large skillet brown the sausage with the onions and garlic.  Drain, then add back to the pan, turn to medium heat.  Add in the tomatoes, sauce, Italian seasoning, pepper, salt, and cream.  Simmer for about 10 minutes then turn off the heat.  Fold in the parmesan and parsley.  Toss the sauce with the noodles and pour into your dish.  Top with mozzarella.  Bake for 20 minutes until cheese is melted.  If you want to take it cold so it can be heated later, don't bake it.  Cover with foil, refrigerate, and reheat at 350 for 35-40 minutes.







No comments:

Post a Comment