Son of chef

Son of chef
Fair food

Tuesday, September 30, 2014

Short Cake

So, I have totally been  neglecting my blogging.  Lame, I know.  My computer has dust on it, but I will do better I promise.

Strawberry shortcake is something I have never really gotten into. The times I have had it, it has been on a dry biscuit or store bought pound cake. No thanks. My mom recently requested it and although I wasn't thrilled, I was determined to make a better shortcake.  I decided to make a scone since it's similar to a biscuit. The main difference is sugar and eggs, this makes the scone more tender with a hint of sweetness.  I threw together a fresh strawberry sauce, poured it on top and they were delicious!  The flaky scone with the sweet and tart was a perfect balance.  My mom loved them and may or may not have eaten three. I am now convinced of strawberry shortcake.  You will be too!

Strawberry Shortcake
Serves 8 (unless you have my mom over, then it serves 5)

Strawberries:
2          Pints             Fresh Strawberries
4          Tbsp             Granulated Sugar

Scones:
2          Cups              All Purpose Flour (extra for rolling)
5          Tbsp              Sugar
1          Tsp                Baking Powder
2          Tsp                Baking Soda
1/2       Tsp                Salt
1/2       Cup               Butter, Cold and Cut into Cubes
1          Each              Egg
3/4       Cup +1 Tbs   Heavy Cream
Coarse Sugar for sprinkling

For The Cream:
2          Cups            Heavy Whipping Cream
3          Tbsp            Powdered Sugar
1          Tsp              Vanilla Bean Paste or Extract

First prepare your berries:  Take one pint of the strawberries hull and slice them, then toss into a bowl.  Take the other pint and hull and chop them finely.  Toss them in with the sliced strawberries and the sugar.  Let them sit at room temperature while you make your scones.

To make your scones:  Preheat an oven to 400 degrees.  In a medium bowl whisk together flour, sugar, baking powder, baking soda, and salt.  Using a pastry blender or a fork blend the butter into the dry mixture until it looks "mealy".  In a small bowl whisk together the egg and the 3/4 cup of cream.  Gently fold this into the dry mixture until just incorporated.  Turn dough out onto a floured surface and knead several times.  Dust with a little more flour and roll into about an inch thick into the shape of a rectangle.  Cut into 8 triangles.  Brush with extra 1 tbsp cream and sprinkle with the coarse sugar.  Bake for 12-15 minutes until golden on the tops.  Set aside to cool while preparing the cream.

Whip your cream:  In a large bowl whip the cream and powdered sugar with an electric hand mixer until stiff peaks form.

To Assemble:
Cut each triangle in half to make 2 smaller triangles.  Place them on a dessert plate and spoon the berries and cream over the top.  Serve immediately.  Enjoy!  Love as Always, "Big K"










No comments:

Post a Comment