Son of chef

Son of chef
Fair food

Monday, October 13, 2014

Breakfast Fix

My son started pre-k in August this year, he calls it "big boy" school.  The first week of school I made a batch of homemade muffins, so he could have something quick before we go.  They serve breakfast at school as well, but fruit out of a can and cornflakes don't really cut it for my little food snob-I have spoiled him, I know.  So, pretty much every Sunday I have been making a batch of muffins for him for the week.  Last Sunday when I went to make them I realized we were out of sugar.  "Sugar Free?" I asked him.  "What's that?" He replied.  "You don't wanna know", I laughed.  So muffins were out.  I looked in the fridge and I had some eggs, cream, and a bunch of cheeses from my latest Whole Foods excursion.  T loves eggs in any form and quiche is my favorite, so I got to work.  Quiche is actually very easy to make and totally delicious.  They are also very versatile, you can mix up the add ins for a custom quiche.  I cut it into wedges and individually wrapped them so they can still be grab and go.  Good for me and good for T!

Breakfast Quiche filled with Habanero Cheddar, Bacon, and Green Onion

For the crust:
2 1/2          Cups             All Purpose Flour
1                Tsp               Salt
1                Stick             Cold Butter, Cubed
1/2             Cup              Shortening
1/2             Cup              Ice Cold Water
Extra Flour for Rolling

I prefer to make my own crust.  This one came out tender and flaky.  In a medium sized bowl place the flour, salt, butter, and shortening.  Use a pastry blender or 2 forks to cut the butter and shortening up into the flour until it resembles a course meal.  Add the cold water in and fold it in until dough comes together.  Place dough on a cutting board and lightly dust it with extra flour.  Knead the dough a few times, then roll it out to fit a deep 9" pie dish.  Cut the excess dough off and crimp the edges.  Set Aside.

For the quiche:
2            Cups             Heavy Whipping Cream
6            Each             Large Eggs
1            Tsp               Salt
1/2         Tsp               Freshly Ground Pepper
1            Cup              Shredded Habanero White Cheddar, Shredded
1/4         Cup              Green Onions, Chopped
1/4         Cup              Bacon, Cooked & Chopped

Preheat oven to 325 degrees.  In a large bowl, whisk together cream, eggs, salt, and pepper until well blended.  Mix in the cheese, onions, and bacon.  Pour the filling in the shell and place it on a baking sheet.  Pop it in the oven and bake for an hour.  You can cut it and serve warm or cool it completely in the refrigerator then slice and wrap in plastic wrap.  To reheat it, unwrap and warm it in the microwave heating 30 seconds at a time until heated through.  Enjoy!  Love as Always, "Big K"





No comments:

Post a Comment