Son of chef

Son of chef
Fair food

Friday, October 17, 2014

Fresh Fruit Sangria

At the end of culinary school there is an ACF (American Culinary Federation) sanctioned test that was basically going to decide if I passed culinary school. I had been studying like crazy and had one day left. My friend Gwyn's house was quiet and she always had food, so I went over there to study. I sat on the counter studying while she baked a confetti cake in a casserole dish. She smeared Betty Crocker frosting all over it and scooted in front of me. She climbed up on the counter with two forks and we ate it straight out of the pan. "Wine?" She asked. I nodded. She got a giant jug of Carlo Rossi sangria and we drank most of it and polished off most that cake. That next morning I had purple teeth and a headache but off I went to take that test. I passed. Wine and cake, kids. That's the trick. Now I always think of her when I make sangria. Don't get me wrong, I love the $13.00 gallon of Sangria you can buy at the liquor store, however I came up with my own grown up version with fresh fruit. It's delicious- savor the flavor with your favorite italian meal, or maybe confetti cake!

Fresh Fruit Sangria


2            Each           Oranges, 1 Sliced into Rounds, 1 Juice Only
1            Each           Lemon, Sliced into Rounds
1            Each           Lime Sliced into Rounds
1            Each           Peach, Remove the Pit and Slice into Wedges
1            Cup            Mixed Berries
1/4         Cup            Sugar
1/4         Cup            Agave Nectar (you could substitute honey)
1/4         Cup            Brandy (I used E & J)
1            Cup            Proseco or Sparkling Water
1            Bottle         Red Wine (I used Merlot)

In a pitcher, combine the fruit, juice of 1 orange, and sugar and let sit for 10 minutes.  Add in the nectar, brandy, proseco, and wine.  Refrigerate until the drink is chilled and the flavors are blended, 4 to 8 hours. Serve the sangria in chilled, ice-filled glasses.   Enjoy!  Love as Always, "Big K"











No comments:

Post a Comment